Sunday, January 11, 2009

How to Pack for a Long Trip; Or Dressing With a Limited Wardrobe


Photo by mewdotkai

At home in Connecticut, I have a huge wardrobe. Some of my clothing I’ve had since elementary school, and some are new, but each piece holds a special place in my heart.

Before I sound too mushy/insane, there is a point to this. At some time, every clothing aficionado has to part with the bulk of his or her collection, temporarily or even (gasp) permanently. No doubt this is a traumatic experience. Living with a small selection of clothes is a significant adjustment, and mistakes can be made. I temporarily reside in Oregon with an admittedly less-than-ideal wardrobe. Here’s how I recommend you pack for such an experience so you don’t have to feel my pain.

Bring basics. You don’t really need that many basic items. Strange, but true. I was planning on a 2-3 month stay (plus taking into account my normal rate of shopping), and my list looked something like this:
  • 2 dresses
  • Sneakers (wear boots during travel)
  • 3 short-sleeved or sleeveless tops
  • 3 bottoms
  • 2 sweatshirts/sweaters
  • 3 long-sleeve shirts
  • Coat
I also took oodles of underwear and socks, because if I happened to be randomly stuck without the ability to wash my clothing, I didn’t want to be nasty. (Seriously, take note. You cannot overpack on underwear and socks for a long trip. Don't skimp. Don't even think about it.)

But anyway, your mileage may vary. My list is shaped by what sorts of basics I actually wear, as your list should be. If you don’t have much room for your stuff (I had one medium-large suitcase), take less clothing than I did. Also take in consideration what the weather is going to be like at your selected destination. If the temperature suddenly drops or raises 20 degrees in a freak heat/cold wave, what will you do? (Hint: In the case of a cold spell, you can usually get by with wearing all your clothes at once. Still, it’s a good thing to keep in mind.) Might you get invited to a fancy event? Make sure you can scrape together a semi-formal outfit if need be. Also important: how often, if at all, will you be able to do laundry?

Note that when I say “basics”, I don’t mean they have to be boring. Pick whatever cuts and colors you like, but know that each item is going to be getting a lot of use. Packing favorites is good. I would, however, recommend that you choose a limited color palette so that any items could easily be worn together. Trust me, you’ll want every matching option you can get around, oh, the fourth day or so.

Here’s a sample set of basics that I threw together:

Polyvore for details

Go nuts with accessories. Pack all your favorites. Then pack all the accessories you’ve worn in the past two weeks. If in doubt, pack it. Consider:
  • Jewelry
  • Scarves
  • Bandannas
  • Shawls
  • Hats (ones that are flat or squishable are best)
  • Bags (again, flat/squishable)
  • Belts
  • Leggings
  • Various socks/hosiery
  • Keychains/bag charms
  • Hair accessories
  • Sarongs
  • Lightweight shoes/sandals
The best accessories are multipurpose and lightweight. The epitome of this is the scarf: it can be worn in a multitude of ways.

Why so many accessories? Because they can completely change an outfit. Here’s the set from above accessorized in several different ways:

Polyvore

Polyvore

Polyvore

Polyvore

Polyvore

Polyvore

Polyvore

Polyvore

Polyvore

Polyvore

Perhaps I went a tad overboard...it was so easy to keep coming up with new ideas! This just goes to show that accessories make the outfit.

For the record, that is where I messed up with my packing—I brought perilously few accessories and quickly became bored with my small wardrobe. If I could do it over again, I’d ditch some of the basics and pack more accessories. Oh well!

Links:
♥Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment