Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Get Dressed Randomly


Photo by Inapond

I have a unique way of choosing what I wear each day, which borders on obsessive-compulsive. Okay, not really—for me it’s par for the course, I have systems for everything—but to the civilian it may seem a little bit weird.

First it helps to give you a vague idea how my clothes are organized. The six staple categories that I group together are:
  • Necklaces
  • Sweatshirts + cardigans
  • Tops + dresses
  • Belts
  • Bottoms
  • Shoes
(If you choose to implement a similar idea, your categories may vary, etc. etc.)
Within each category, I do not organize by color, cut, value, fanciness, or any other property that other fashionistas might. Instead, I order the items by when I last wore them.

I usually plan my outfits the night before I wear them. When I’m feeling completely uninspired, I roll a die (a Las Vegas souvenir my father brought back on a business trip, actually) to pick a category. (There’s six of them, see?) I pick one of the first four items in that category and challenge myself to build an outfit around it. If I’m still stuck, I go through pictures of outfits that inspire me on my computer until I get an idea.

So what’s the point here? What are the advantages?
  • I use clothing more evenly so it wears out slower.
  • If a piece is neglected, it sits very obviously unworn at the top of the closet so I can consider whether it’s worth keeping.
  • It forces me to think creatively and take fashion risks while styling the featured piece.
  • It puts my inspiration photos to good use.
  • It prevents me from throwing on outfits I haven’t thought about.
  • It prevents me from abusing “comfort outfits” (e.g. wearing the same thing over and over again).
  • It’s exciting and fun! (Okay, that’s what I think, but I am a nerd for randomization.)

How do you get dressed? What do you think about my habits?

♥Anna

1 comment:

  1. I go by the weather, what is clean, and what doesn't need repairs or embellishments at the moment.

    ReplyDelete