Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Inspiration: Retro-Futurisim (Or I'm Watching Too Much Star Trek)

I am hugely into retro-futurism at the moment, probably because I've been rewatching Star Trek TOS (The Original Series) like a madwoman. Quick-and-dirty explanation of what I mean:

You're watching a sci-fi movie or TV show set in the future (or a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far, away, whatever). Despite efforts to make the costuming "futuristic" the styling is still reminiscent of a certain era. Voila, retro-futurism.

Fig. 1: OH IT MUST BE THE SIXTIES BECAUSE THIS MINIDRESS DOESN'T EVEN COVER MY CHOCHA HALF THE TIME.
[Note from a Trekkie: Concerned citizens; be reassured by the fact that every such Starfleet dress comes with standard matching panties.]

Other trademarks of retro-futurism:
  • Shiny stuff.
  • Geometric cuts. Oooh, so modern!
  • Superfluous design elements. Who cares if it has a function? We have the technology!
  • Etc.
I made some sets; none of which would look too out of place in TOS:


Outfit To Watch Space Boys In
Outfit To Watch Space Boys In by The Stylish Geek featuring Roger Vivier shoes

You think that wig is major?

Meet Janice Rand, who totes should have made it into the new movie.





A couple outfits suitable for exploring the planet's surface (in the future, women also tend to be scantily clothed).





These two seem like outfits a stylish Romulan might enjoy.

♥Anna

3 comments:

  1. Words cannot describe my love for this entry! I love this style so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you seen the webcomic I Was Kidnapped By Lesbian Pirates from Outer Space? 'Cos I think you'd like it. Call it a hunch. . .
    rosalarian.com/lesbianpirates

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. TNG had some amazing costuming as well, but it's so hard to find great stills from the show!

    ReplyDelete